Thursday, April 25, 2013

In The Garden Thursday: Breast Cancer Rose Bush

Kitties - the Mommie here.  I am going a little off cat topic here, but Callie and Sassy was nice enough to give me their blog for today.  As some of you may know, my sister, Glenda passed away from breast cancer in early April, four years ago. She loved growing flowers, so when I found a rose bush for sell that the proceeds from went to Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer, it seemed like fate.  I purchased one and planted it three years ago.  For the first two years, I was a little disappointed with it - it seemed kind of blah and boring.  However, this year, right around the anniversary of Glenda's death ironically enough, it started blooming out like crazy.  Now, I am smart enough to know that this probably has more to do with the mild weather we have been having here in Dallas than anything else.  But there is also this small part of me that likes to think it is my sister saying "hey down there!"

15 comments:

Mariodacat said...

Gorgeous and an amazing story.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Purrs and purrs!!

Gigi said...

Beautiful roses! Purrs and head bumps for you today, too.

Oh, and Sassy? Welsh ManCat? Wuuuuuut????

Cory said...

Of course it's more than the nice weather! purrrrrrr...beautiful roses

xoxo Jonesie

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous rose bush! Maybe it is speaking out to a friend of my human's who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She is being very brave and says it was caught early, but my human is still very concerned for her.

AnnStaub said...

Very cool story... the rose bush is very beautiful too. It seems like lots of the rose bushes over here are blooming too!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh I really do think she was saying hello!

CATachresis said...

That is a lovely memorial! Beautiful blooms x

da tabbies o trout towne said...

B;

I know your sister is saying hey, how are ya, hope all is well; love ya sis....

and that's a beautiful rose bush ~~~~~~

hope you and the gals enjoy the week end

L




Unknown said...

Of course it's your sister! What a beautiful way for her to send her love to you!

The Island Cats said...

It's beautiful...and I'm sure it's your sister's way of saying hello.

Island Cats' mom

Unknown said...

What a great story! We sends you our love and hugs!
Nellie and Mommy

Gigi said...

I needs to hear more about this ManCat crush, Sassy. Though of course we can still take a Furrari ride! But, do spill your secrets to me....please.

Cathy Keisha said...

They look like the roses the Grand Peeps used to have only they were called Adele Roses after Gramma.

Gigi said...

Okay, I am investigating this transAtlantic affair. There is much for me yet to learn, Sweet Sassy.